Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sexy woman?


October 3, 2009

Locations: Cusco, Peru and the Sacred Valley (Chincero)


So, the Incas were super strong fellows. I admit I'm no historian, but they were able to lift up these ridiculously heavy rocks to build forts, baths, and villages. As you can see, these rocks are ENORMOUS!!! The hadn't yet invented the wheel (the wheel, the wheel, the wheel the wheel the wheel- shout out to the family and A Brief History of Time)...but somehow they were able to fit these rocks together perfectly to form walls that have lasted through the test of time (except, of course when the Spanish came and destroyed most of what they had created). All around Cusco there are ruins, which used to be Incan fortresses, and you can go visit what is left of them.


I went with my new friends, Alonso, and Veronica (my friend from Argentina who I shared a bus ride with) to go view the ruins around Cusco. We started by taking a bus to Tambomachay, which is a place where the Incans used to bathe. Then, from there, you can walk to 3 other ruins over the course of a day. We went to Puca Pucara, and then to Q'enko, and finally to Sacsayhuaman....which is pronounced SEXY WOMAN, which I think is a funny joke. We walked from the first ruin through the mountains, and met with these giant looming clouds that roared. We were far away from any protection, and hoped that it didn't rain too hard. We got lucky during our nice hike- got the sound effects without too much rain. We arrived at the final ruin, Sacsayhuaman, and were overcome by how massive it was!











Here we are the vista from the top of Sacsayhuaman, where you can see all of Cusco- these pictures don't do the view justice, but you have to just imagine looking at the top of hundreds of roofs.


After out nice day of hiking and checking out the ruins, we headed back into Cusco and I moved my stuff into an apartment, where I'll stay for the next 2 weeks. I had a nice homemade quinoa dinner with my friends and then went to bed.


Today was another day of exploration. My friends and I woke up early and headed to the bus station to go to Chincero, another part of the Sacred Valley. On the way to the station, we tried to change our money (dollars to Soles), and every vendor was telling us that our American money was falso (fake) and would not change it for us. They are super suspicious of fake money here, and refuse to change it if a bill looks too crisp. Another reason they won't change money is if it's ripped- and I don't mean torn to shreds- if the side of the bill is ripped the tiniest bit, even without having ripped any part off, they refuse. It's the oddest thing....so changing money today was a failure.


What wasn't a failure was the excitement that today brought.


After our bus ride, we headed into Chincero, a tiny pueblo with a church and a giant Sunday market. Chincero is about 400 meters higher than Cusco, so needless to say, we were tired today. After I paid one sole (30 cents) to use the bathroom :) we hiked up to the church, which was hosting Mass. The church sits atop the mountain, and from there you can see more ruins and snowcapped peaks. We hiked around the church and then the ruins (which looked like they were built as terraces for agriculture) and then came across the oddest sight.


There were men holding giant sticks racing up the mountain and yelling at donkeys....these men keep coming and we had no idea what was going on. Apparently, there was some sort of competition to get as much lumbar into the town as possible.




After we explored the ruins, we headed down to the market, where you can buy anything from paint dye to haircuts. These markets are incredible and it is so fun just to chat with the locals and play with the children there.


On the way home today as I was boarding the bus, I noticed that there was only one seat open, which was in the back of the bus, which is a long row of seats, and seats 5. The school kids sitting there didn't seem too keen that I join them, but I told there there were 5 seats and I was going to sit in the 5th. They kind of moved over, but I soon realized that the girl next to me wanted her boyfriend to sit next to her, so he sat down as well and then there were 6.....5 squished students and one squished gringa. It wasn't the most comfortable situation...it got even less comfortable a bit later when the children started making fun of me. As an adult, I can't really remember the last time someone made fun of me, almost to my face....the kids even went so far as to use their phone to take a picture of me, which was interesting, and odd, and awkward....I guess being made fun of translates in any language. There is so much more I want to say, but my time here is up and I need to go. Tomorrow, or sometime soon, I want to address my thoughts on a lunch I had with a Chincero local today- if I don't write it soon, email me and remind me!



This one's for you, Jackie...A special, special treat: arroz con leche con fruitas (rice with milk and fruit)!!! Que rico! I bought this from a woman who sells this yummy treat all night- she just sits there, freezing and smiling and selling this delish treat for 60 cents. Bedtime snack :)
Love to all :)