Friday, February 26, 2010

Rishikesh / I love monkeys.


Location: Rishikesh, India
Date: February 20, 2010

*Note: After uploading these pictures and reviewing the post, I noticed how many pictures of monkeys I had put up...I hadn't intended to show so many pictures of them, but here they all are, for your enjoyment :)

If you want to travel in India, try your best to save Rishikesh for the end of your trip. This peaceful town that is located along the holy Ganges river will suck you in and you’ll want to bathe in her beauty for weeks. I will pull myself out of this town in the next day or so, but for now I am indulging myself in all this town has to offer: daily yoga, all vegetarian food, monkeys galore, Setsung gatherings?, and hilltop temples.

A Sadhu sitting on the side of the road. Sadhus typically wear orange turbans and clothing, and they are Hindu holy men who are on a wandering path. They have given up earthly possessions, and walk around and beg for food.

The bridge walk

The first day I went on an adventure walk with my two new friends, Roisin and Thyaalina. We explored the town, and crossed one of the suspension pedestrian bridges that links this town to Ram Jhula, a neighboring village. Walking across the bridge was like walking through a dream. There were so many people crossing, and you had to share your narrow path with monkeys, cows, and motorcycles…I was instantly enamored with the bridge crossings.


A little girl on the steps. Many of the children in Northern India wear eyeliner, which makes their eyes look huge. I haven't gotten a straight answer yet on why they do this- I was told by one person that it makes your eyes cleaner and by another that it deflects evil spirits....

The past few days I have spent as a student of the Hindu culture. This morning I participated in a set sung(not sure about spelling) gathering, with is a traditional Hindu ceremony (though I think this particular one was filled with ex-pats who have settled in Rishikesh). You sing mantras and there are people who play instruments. After the musical section, the Baba (the wise man who has studied and has knowledge about ,well, everything) answers one question that the congregation poses, and then you line up to receive a prayer from the Baba.


New friends Roison (Canada) and Thayaaliny (Malaysia)

Monkeying around.

More monkeys.


And more monkeys.


Making chapati, an Indian bread that is rolled and put into a tandoori oven to bake. The bread is then peeled off the sides of the tandoori and is all puffed up and delicious!

View from the hostel, such a contrast from Delhi!

The Sadhus begging for money and food.


Yes, more monkeys....



My tailor!
Wow, I have a lot of monkey pictures.


Some schools boys at the small school in Rishikesh.



Yesterday I took a day trip to a hilltop temple outside of the city. To get there, we took rickshaws, local buses and jeeps. Before our ascent, we sat in one of the hill villages and drank chai, and then visited the temple, which is not a main tourist attraction. The temple overlooked the Himalayas, and I stayed for awhile, just meditating life.
Next stop is Dharmasala, where I hope to spend some time in the Tibetan refugee schools, and maybe catch a glimpse of the Dalai Lama

The cutest little woman I met at the temple. She was very excited to meet me and introduce me to her whole family, who were making offerings at the temple.


Ringing the bell as you leave the temple.