Monday, March 22, 2010

Fish Massage?

Location: Bangkok and Chiang Mai, Thailand
Date: March 13, 2010

Sabadee-Ka!

Transitioning from India to Bangkok was one of the easiest yet, but it was so strange. I expected Bangkok to be a huge booming city, full of flashing neon lights and streets jammed with cars. What I found upon arrival was a chilled out city, with cars following the traffic directions (for the most part) and kind, respectful street vendors that didn't try to argue when you wouldn't buy something. I'm not sure if this perception was a factor of comparing Bangkok to Delhi, or if the city was quieter because of the protests, but it was a very peaceful and gentle transition that I was really grateful for.

But goodness, it's HOT here.

Strollling along the streets of Bangkok, I saw some quirky signs...
When I asked this fellow if I could have a fish massage, he took one look at my feet and said, "No, no no! They eat you!" which meant that I had too many open bites on my feet that the fish would attack...maybe I can go after my feet have healed.


This is one park in Bangkok, where there are nightly aerobics. I tried to join, but they move so quickly that it is nearly impossible to pick up. What a great idea though- a free aerobics work out in the cool evening where you can meet with friends and move your body! I hope to start one in Seattle upon my return...


Around Bangkok and throughout Chiang Mai, which is an overnight bus ride north of Bangkok, are hundreds of temples, or wats, and they are laden with smiling Buddhas and happy little creatures.

In Bangkok, I met the lovely Marisa, who I got to spend a glorious week traveling with. We decided to leave Bangkok, and head north to Chiang Mai, which is a take-off point for trekking in the mountains. We joined a group of 7 people for an overnight trip to sleep with a hill tribe.
First stop was a beautiful orchid farm, filled with colorful flowers- beautiful! Next, we headed to a snake farm where the performers put on a great show that involved jumping into a pool with a live python which wrapped itself around the man while he was in the pool. Pretty rad.
After the snake show was the really low point of our journey. We went to go visit the "Long Neck Tribe Village," which ending up being a depressing experience. We had thought we would get to see the village in action, with the women working and the men in the fields, but what happened was that we walked into a perfectly manicured landscape which had rows and rows of shops that catered only to tourists. This wasn't a village at all, but a few women who had the coils over their necks, and just sat all day looking sad, waiting for tourists to buy something. We were the only people there, and it felt like being in a zoo. It was so sad and we left immediately, not sure what the best way to help the tribe would be.

After that stop, we headed into the jungle for 3 hours of uphill, palm tree trekking. It was just lovely and so good to be outside in the hot wilderness. This time we actually hiked up to a hill tribe, where no cars could go.

The village was nestled among the palm trees, and we greeted the villagers who did not speak Thai or English.


Our guide led us to our mosquito net home, and we settled in. Miracle of miracles, ladies wearing beautiful sarees came in and the guide told us that they were here to give massages if any one wanted one. Since I had never gotten a massage before, I jumped at the chance, and for the next 30 minutes, I was in heaven- under a mosquito net buried in the hills of northern Thailand, being massaged by two women...it was great!

The next day, our guide Mr.C, led us down to waterfalls. Every so often he would disappear and we would wonder where he went, and then we would hear his laugh and he would appear behind a tree or a plant...a mysterious little fellow but we loved it. Here I am with my pal Marisa, and Mr.C.

Our group


After waterfall swimming we took elephant rides. We were enamoured with these large creatures and spent hours coddling them. Unfortunately, after our ride, we found out that someone had robbed Marisa while we were out on the excursion.

Skinny neck :)

Skin cross-section

Love it!


hehehe


trunk.

I think their trunks get really heavy,
since they seem to stop and need to rest them from time to time.

These two lovely women were just squatting in the village and smoking...something.

until next time...