Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Burnt from my eyelids to my belly button...

WELCOME TO RIO DE JANEIRO.....








Sarongs sold on the beach






Does the picture walk tell the story? If not, please read on....
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Date: December 9, 2009

...Rio de Janeiro...a sweltering city full of bikini clad women (and men), drinkable coconuts, samba music and caipirinhas (a delicious lime based drink enriched with rum and sugar). Coming to Rio I had no idea what to expect, and even as I get more familiar with the city it still surprises me.

Though Rio is known for its beaches, I havent gotten the chance to experience them since it has been pouring here since I´ve arrived (with the exception of today, when I ran outside to catch every drop of sun, thereby frying myself...). I got to walk along the beach coast and see the mountains that kiss the beaches. Quite stunning views, even when it´s cloudy. The Brazilian people and I have been playing a grand game of charades since I no longer speak the language. People who speak Portugese can understand me but when they answer I haven´t a foggiest clue as to what they are saying. Its a very cruel trick but it´s all part of the game.

Here are a few views from Christo Blanco, the everpresent giant white Jesus that can be found in most Latinamerican cities. From here, Rio looks like such a peaceful city. In truth, Rio can actually be quite dangerous. Muggings are extremely common and there is a lot of conflict because of the dissension between the rich and the poor. In the hills of Rio are favelas, which re the poorest neighborhoods. Many of these neighborhoods are run by the mafia or druglords and the members of the community are openly brandishing arms. Although these communities exist, it is kind of a -don´t bother us, we won´t bother you- situation. This week I plan on going to an afterschool program they have in one of the favelas that is open to the public. Needless to say, I am making sure to be extremely careful and take caution with whatever activity I do. I am staying in beautiful Ipanema, a lovely and safe neighborhood, and so far I have felt extremely safe.















Everything is fried here and pao de quiejo (or cheese bread) has been my best friend. It is tapioca flour mashed and then mixed with cheese and friend...delicious! It´s hard to get ahold of veggie food here, so I´m indulging a bit and eating these fried cheese balls. Rio, and Brazil in general, also has lots of delicious tropical fruits. Guava, lychee, acai, passion fruit, jackfruit and cashew fruit are readily found here, and I have enjoyed trying a new fruit each day.

Another commonality here is the desire to get out and about. Despite the rain, I have seen people jogging along the beach or the lake, in their sexiest get-ups. Women here show off their body with pride, despite age and weight, and it is almost impossible to encounter a one-piece bathing suit. Old men chil on the beach in their Havaianas and bikini bottoms, and seem like the happiest people on earth. It is wonderful to see people so content with their bodies, and it is a first time for me to experience this kind of culture.

The Cathedral in downtown Rio


Inside the cathedral. The view looking up at the ceiling.


My artistic shot of a lady cleaning the windows at the Natural History Museum in Rio

Other highlights:

1. The Brazilian side of the waterfalls. Foz de Iguazu is the continuation of the waterfalls on the Argentine side. On the bus to the waterfalls, I met some great new friends that came to Brazil for a friend´s wedding, together, Cate, Anwar and I headed to check on the waterfalls, which were spectacular. (Scroll down to visit the falls and the cool creatures at the falls...)

2. Later on in the day, we decided to visit Itaipu, a giant dam that supplies Paraguay with 90% of its power and 20% of Brazil´s. The dam was massive, and for a moment, I got to cross into Paraguay (without a Visa-woohoo!)

3. The 26 hour bus ride from Foz de Iguazu to Rio de Janeiro. Enough said.




















SMile!!!



Sadly, it´s time to say goodbye to the beautiful continent of South America, an enchanting place full of gracious people, beautiful landscapes, and interestnig critters. I would love to spend more time here, but as Tom Petty says, `it´s time to move on, time to get going, what lies ahead I have no way of knowing.`

I fly into London on my way to Kosovo, so I will be there for 2 short days before I embark on my journey into Eastern Europe.

beijos brazilianos and happy birthday to Aron and Cam :)